O Little Town of Bethlehem

little.breakfast
little.nap
little.cheer
little.reminder

Last night I printed out simple melody sheet music for the piano for a bunch of Christmas songs. I never got past learning just the simple chords as a kid, but it was still so satisfying somehow to be able to bang out a little tune and sing along. As a 9-year old I enjoyed the solitude at the old piano downstairs playing to an empty room that absorbed the sound of my tinkering. As a mama, trying to recreate that enjoyment on a kindof broken electric keyboard that shuts itself off every time more than one note is played, along with a living room full of holiday-frenzied children, some practicing with voices right along, one reading, one doing handstands and another (guess which) trying to wedge himself in between me and the thing keeping me from him... well. It wasn't quite the same. Then there was Jeff, who, not being able to even read sheet music, can sleuth the tune out of any song on the piano, whether Coldplay or Bach, in a matter of seconds, helping me peck out O Little Town of Bethlehem. Such a sweetie.

Distractions, memories of former musical aspirations aside, I enjoyed playing for my little town. Just one little note at a time. They enjoyed it too. Little, insignificant moments made better because we have them together. And so many more to come.

Wishing you many little and big moments with those you love, Merry Christmas and see you back here soon, xoxo Anna Maria